Thursday, June 20, 2013

FIRST JAM OF THE YEAR!

I wasn't intending to make jam at the moment but my rhubarb was growing crazy in my veg plot.
It is all this rain sun rain sun. Anyway before it took over  and was wasted I cut most of it down. Leaving some to keep growing for later on, for puds etc.

I ended up with two large pots of cut up rhubarb sitting on my side in the evening. What do I do with all of this?  So I decided to make my first jam of the year. This is what I did.

Rhubarb with Vanilla Jam.

3 lb of fruit
3 lb of sugar
1 pint of water
2 tablespoons of vanilla.
Screw top glass jars.

First cut rhubarb into small pieces put into pan. Add water/vanilla bring to the boil . Heat sugar up in oven. Then add to pot. Continue to boil. Put saucer into freezer  for a few minutes.Put small amount of jam onto cold plate to test if jam is set enough. It should crinkle when pushed. Put jars into oven for a few minutes.
Put boiling water into a jug and add the jar lids. Take jars out and add jam then lids. Leave to cool. Label each jar. Then enjoy.




















My daughter and I had some on toast for breakfast . You can not beat home made jam.

Only a few more pounds of fruit, to go. Need to buy more sugar!

We will have jam for the rest of the year for very little cost. Just lots of effort.


                     Which jam do you like best? do you make your own.

                                  My family love tomato jam.

1 comment:

  1. I love Rhubarb. I've never had it as jam, I bet this tastes so good!

    ReplyDelete